Thursday, November 12, 2009

What is going on?!?!?!

If you're my facebook friend then you may have already heard about Levi's "incedent" today at pre-school. He was told by his teacher not to say the word "penis" at school, but to just say that at home. You've got to worry about those preacher kids.

Then, on the way to school this AM, Nathan and Matthew asked Liz what "Jackass" and "Ass" meant. Supposedly, the first word was on Tom and Jerry, and the second word is in C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle (which Nathan and I are reading together). Liz informed them that both words, in those contexts, meant "donkey." But that they usually were bad words and they didn't need to say them.

You know what this means, don't you? It's time for "the talk." It's time for me to sit down with Nathan and go through all the cuss words with him, tell him what they mean, and why he doesn't need to use them.

I know what some of you are thinking, "But you're a pastor. You can't say those words." Where would you rather your kid learn what's the right and wrong thing to say? I'd rather them learn it from me than the kids at school.

Another benefit is that he'll know that I know... and knowing's half the battle.

2 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I figure it'll be more "meaningful" if I just sit them down and apologize each time I let one slip... : )

JJ said...

OK, I don't see what's wrong with referring to anatomy with the anatomically correct term. Maybe that's just me?