Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Take responsibility

That's the basic theme of Obama's "back to school" speech. You can read it here.

I know there was a lot of fuss over over this speech. And while I understand some of the concern there is something in me that pushes back and fights against the fuss. It reminded me of the boycotts against Harry Potter and The DaVinci Code. Most of the people who stood against those never took the time to read the books. Most of the people who fussed about the speech never really knew what he was going to say.

Read the speech, then make a judgment.

I think that God gave us a brain for thinking. I would never say we should blindly accept what Obama says, but if we don't know what he says then we can't think through what he says. I don't think we should blindly accept what anyone says. I hope people don't blindly accept what I say. I want people to compare what I say to what the Bible says and let the Holy Spirit guide.

One thing that really impressed me about Obama's speech was his encouragement to find our what your good at and then to pursue it for the good of society. I also loved his encouragement to pursue education. Education doesn't hold all the answers to a better world, but it does open doors.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the speech. What did you think?

3 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

The speech, as it was finally delivered, was good. Mr. Obama is a gifted and skilled orator.

Jonathan Everette said...

Did you watch it? I made Nathan watch it since he had to stay home. Here's the amazing thing about the speech. Obama didn't say anything profound. He said stuff that I say to my kids and that my parents said to me. Some stuff he said is just something we take for granted, but there are so many people who don't say this stuff to their kids. And Obama knows his giftedness. He's an inspirational speaker. Finally, he used his skills for something good. At least that's my thought on the subject. Nathan, however, thought the speech was boring (until Obama mentioned Harry Potter... that peaked Nathan's interest.).

Jaimee Holmes said...

I'm going to watch it in it's entirety later tonight; I did read it. The kids are watching it at school tomorrow. Basically all things we have already talked about at home. I agree that his speaking skills were used for good this time! In fact, I have enjoyed many of his speeches and think that at least prior to his election, he had many good and motivating things to say. While I am not eager to be lumped together with far right extremists (I am not even a Republican *gasp*, don't listen to Rush Limbaugh or watch TBN), I am equating skepticism and caution with wisdom at this point. I am not having warm fuzzy feelings toward Mr. Obama due to some of his recent decisions/declarations, and recognize the potential power that his words hold over the people of the U.S. (good or bad). I want my kids to grow up thinking, discerning, weighing... I don't want them to be easily deceived. I want them to show respect for position and government, but guarding their minds, and looking to higher authority for truth. I value education... and public speaking is a talent which I do not posses... but wariness, I think, can be a good thing at times!