Thursday, September 10, 2009

De-Parenting

I believe that the goal of parenting is de-parenting. By that I mean that I want my kids to be able to function on their own as healthy adults after they move out of the house... and I do hope the do move out. :) Then they can have their own healthy families and de-parent their own kids.

I think we do the opposite of de-parenting in church world. As people "mature" as disciples they grow more dependent on the church.

Not that I want people giving up on church... no way, Jose. There's a saying that the Chinese Christians have: "Every believer is a church planter." I'm talking about multiplication. I'm talking about every Christian making disciples who make disciples. I'm talking about raising up healthy Christians who aren't unnaturally dependent on the church for all of their spiritual needs.

This is just a thought I'm exploring. What do you think?

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

You asked what we thought...

I go through times of almost wishing I could leave Hub City. I can't leave because I love you guys, and ultimately I know what we're doing is revolutionary. But I still struggle I guess because I am tired and get stuck, not really wanting to feed myself... I understand the concept of "de-parenting" but I really really understand how it could be easier to "go somewhere" where you can be forever parented. It's the apathy that keeps most of us luke-warm. Just being honest...