Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A million miles in a thousand years


I love Donald Miller's writing. His book, Blue Like Jazz, is phenomenal. But it pales in comparison to his new book. I don't want to tell you what it's about because you need to stop what you're doing, go buy it and read it right now.

However, I will tell you how it has affected me. While reading I would find myself laughing out loud and then a few pages later I'd be bawling my eyes out. There are very few books that I read where I'm left screaming at the end, "I WANT MORE!!!" This was one of those books. I didn't want it to end. It has helped shape how I view my time, my relationships, my faith, my parenting, my marriage... I could go on. It's almost as if it helped me see my life from a different perspective, which is helpful... and healthy.

My commentary for the Herald-Journal that'll be coming out next Saturday, Oct. 3, contains some of my thoughts that came from reading this book. When you read it I'd love to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I was actually just given a copy and am preparing to read it whenever I have time to read. I'm glad it's so good - I've loved his other books. So I'll comment once I have something to say :)

JJ said...

Thanks for this Jonathan, I had no idea he had another book out. I was profoundly affected by Blue Like Jazz... and the funny part is, I found a copy of it at Goodwill and remembered that I had wanted to read it for a long time. Funny how God puts things in unexpected places.