Monday, August 18, 2008

Wild Goose Chase


There are a number of reasons why I have loved Mark Batterson's new book, Wild Goose Chase. I think the first reason is because of the title itself. Pursuing God is like a wild goose chase, but in a good way. Like Mr. Tumnus tells Lucy in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, "Tame? No he is not a tame lion, but he is good." Following God has become so tame, so adventureless, so predictable. But that's not what we see throughout Scripture. We act like we've got God and following God all figured out and we have all kinds of predictable formulas. Following God is safer that way. But following God isn't safe. It's an adventure... a crazy, fun, dangerous, exciting adventure.

Second, I love the caged imagery that flows throughout the book. So many great Christians I know are caged by so many things. Mark identifies six. I'd tell them to you, but you need to read the book.

Now I'd like to figure out how to do a series on this. I believe it could be very powerful. You can find the book here, or check out Mark's blog here. You can also find out more by going to www.chasethegoose.com.

No comments: