Monday, March 17, 2008

More than a relationship

I read something today that shook me up. It comes from Vince Antonucci's (my favorite blogger) new book I became a Christian and all I got was this lousy t-shirt. He says that being a Christian is more than just having a relationship with Jesus. It's about abiding in him, getting lost in him, becoming one with him. I think his best description of what it means to abide is to think about a baby in a mother's womb. Does the baby have a relationship with it's mom? Yes, but it's so much more than that. The baby lives inside its mother. It can't live without its mother. It is totally dependent on its mother.

When I think about my relationship with Jesus I have to ask myself: Do I abide in Jesus as a baby abides in its mother's womb, or do I just have a relationship with Jesus like I have a relationship with my college roommates (who are great guys, whom I have a great relationship with, but who I only talk with once or twice a month... you get the picture... Joe, Joey and John, I love you guys)?

To be honest, "abiding" sound so much fuller and richer than a having a relationship. Go get the book to read more. It's worth it.

No comments: