Tuesday, February 04, 2014

I don't believe it

I am literally in unbelief at what is happening today. Today, my oldest son, Nathan, is participating in a Math Counts competition. 

What is Math Counts, you ask? Math Counts is a math competition where schools compete against one another by doing challenging math problems. 

Why am I in unbelief? I had to take Algebra twice. Math has never been one of my best subjects. The only way I would have ever been on the Math Counts team is if I got a position holding somebody's calculator. And then I would have probably been an alternate. On the other hand, Nathan's got one of the top grades in his Algebra class. 

It makes me wonder if we're even related. 

What's funny is that Nathan and I are so alike in personality, humor and other things. But at the same time he is incredibly unique (just like his brothers Matthew and Levi). Nathan is an amazing artist. I can only draw stick figures and even they look pathetic. He has a passion for technology and knows more about Disney than Walt himself.

I love his talent and ability. I can't wait to see what God wants to with all of his gifts.

And if any of his younger brothers struggle with Algebra like their dad then at least they'll have someone who can help them besides me.

Why am I writing this? Well, it's because I'm proud of Nathan. And, since he's a 13 year old adolescent who often drives his parents crazy, I wanted it to be in writing that I'm proud of who he is and how he's growing and developing. 

I don't remember where I first read it, but sometime ago I remember reading that the one thing boys need from their dads if for their dads to be proud of them. So, if you have a son. Tell them you're proud of them. It's way easier than making the Math Counts team.

No comments: