Sunday, September 23, 2012

Haiti day 1 and 2

Haiti Day 1

The thing you have to have when you go on a trip like this is a good dose of flexibility. That's because we spent our first three hour in Haiti waiting in the parking lot of the airport waiting for another team to arrive. It appears that all planes coming to Haiti are required by Haitian law, or some law, to be delayed indefinitely. But hey, we're flexible.

And everyone knows it wouldn't be a good mission trip without a bit of bloodshed. However, we weren't expecting that it would be within the first few hours of us getting into Port-au-Prince. A female member, whom shall remand unnamed, also who was not from Hub City, had a minor spill in the airport parking lot, hit her head, shed a lot of blood, and gave Liz an opportunity to put her nursing skills to work. Nothing like minor surgery in the front seat of an old yellow school bus. Memories!

On a sentimental note, I am so glad to be here with Liz. We get to room together, which is awesome, but hot as hades. I can't wait to share this experience with her.

The final thing I will say is that it is hot. Really hot.

Day 2

This is a different world. We started the day with worship with a local Haitian church. Those folks sing loud. And they don't have a sound system. Neither do they have air conditioning. Nor a bathroom. But when in Haiti...pee behind a rock.

Speaking of peeling, Liz had to use the potty after worship. The "women's" toilet was an open cinder block outhouse with a concrete pillar/hole. But it's what she got to do after peeing that was so cool. Amy took her up the mountain a bit to see the house she they rescued three boys a little while ago. Words can't really describe the expireience. The shack had sticks that were woven together to make the walls and a tarp roof. Unbelievable living conditions. Beak your heart conditions.

Afterwards we went to a Haitian restaurant for lunch. Amazing. Seriously. So good. I made myself sick with how much I ate. Chicken, some dorm of spicy slaw, French fries (because Haiti used to be a French colony), rice and beans, plantains, and a soda for desert.

We then toured the orphanage property. I cannot believe the change and how incdible it looked. I was overwhelmed emotionally thinking how much had been done since we were here in March. But we have so much to do.

We couldn't start work today, so what do we do instead? We visit Obama beach, that's what. The water was great. Wish I could go every evening.

I think this is all I can sha tonight. I am about to fall over dead asleep. It was so hot in our room last night that I maybe slept an hour. Here's to a hopefully better night's sleep tonight.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home