Tuesday, April 17, 2012

How I handle depression

Do you struggle with depression?

I do. I feel like my life is a roller-coaster of emotions. I'm a Katy Perry song. I get down. Then I'm up. Then I'm down again.

You probably experience the same thing, so I thought I'd share what I do that helps me crawl out of my depression. I hope it helps you. Here's what I do:

I say out-loud every Bible verse that I have memorized. And if I'm still down then I do it again.

Now, if I'm really depressed I usually put this off. But it's not until I discipline my mind to do this, quote Bible verses out loud, that I'm able to stabilize my emotions. And it works.

I think it works for a number of reasons:
  • God's Word is living and active.
  • Our emotions follow our thoughts, so that when we change what we are thinking about our emotions follow.
  • Quoting Bible verses out-loud is a way to invite Jesus into our situation.
I hope this helps you. It helps me and I didn't want to keep it to myself.


No comments: