Thursday, August 11, 2011

Privileges vs. Obligations

I read a quote today that was super powerful.

Do you remember the elder bother in the parable of the prodigal son? He wanted the privileges of being a son, but not the obligations that came with being a brother.

I think that so often describes us as Christians. We want things cool between us and God with all the privileges that come with that. But we could do without loving our brothers and sisters.

But following Jesus is about both. It is both vertical and horizontal. We live out our love for God by loving others. Most of Jesus' and the New Testament commands have to do with how we treat others.

In other words, privileges and obligation go hand in hand. If we get this right we would radically alter people's perceptions of Christianity and in turn, radically transform the world in which we live.

1 comment:

Frankie Creel said...

I have been thinking about this lately...we have a lot of commands in the Bible and I think some people get hung up on the fact we call them commands and how its this thing I "have" to do. I think when we fully understand the Gospel we will understand these are not commands, but privileges.

I have the privilege to love other's the way Christ has loved me.

I have the privilege to serve others the way Christ served me.

I have the privilege of loving God, because he first loved me.