Monday, August 09, 2010

Reproduce

Somebody asked me a great question today. Let me give you some background.

The mission of Hub City Church is to make disciples who make disciples. We call someone who makes disciples a parent because they are reproducing themselves.

So the question was: What am I supposed to reproduce?

Here's what I think. Tell me what you think.

You want to reproduce someone who hears from God and does what he says. Teach people to hear from God. Find out what God is saying to them. Then keep them accountable with being obedient.


3 comments:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I've been thinking about this. Here's why I like your answer:

(1)The answer itself is telling me to hear from God and do what He says.
(2)You're saying that reproducing disciples is a Holy Spirit initiated process.
(3)You're saying that the end product is not someone who is equipped to lead a hub group, but rather someone who is obeying God and is equipped to lead in whatever capacity as a byproduct of that obedience.
(4)You're telling me this is something that *I* or anybody for that matter, can do.
(5)And you're telling me I had better be becoming something worth imitating.

That is a simple, but all-encompassing, life-long directive that takes the focus off of what I am doing and puts it onto participating in what God is doing.

Thanks. Can I get that in a temporary tattoo for my forehead?

Jonathan Everette said...

Sorry. Tatoos are permanent.

Actually, I think I'm going to steal your comment for a future series/sermon. Making disciples isn't hub group dependent. it's relationship dependent, leadership dependent and God's word dependent. Hub Group is just a great environment for it. thanks for sharing. And you'll probably see/hear this again in a sermon.

Jaimee Holmes said...

I guess you probably take for granted that we're all smart enough to know that already... Especially since when I see it written out, I think Yeah, I knew that... Sorry to disappoint! Maybe a permanent tattoo would not be such a bad idea... It's so easy to lose sight of what's most important.