Monday, April 06, 2009

The Treasure Principle


I cannot say enough good stuff about The Treasure Principle. This little book is all about giving (which is turning some of you off right now). But it is most definitely the BEST book I've ever read on giving.

Basically, here's the Treasure Principle: You can't take it with you--but you can send it on ahead. Alcorn gives 6 keys to the treasure principle (these came from pg. 95):
  1. God owns everything. I'm his money manager. We are the managers of the assets God has entrusted--not given-- to us.
  2. My heart always goes where I put God's money. Watch what happens when you reallocate your money from temporal things to eternal things.
  3. Heaven, not earth, is my home. We are citizens of "a better country--a heavenly one."
  4. I should live not for the dot but for the line. From the dot--our present life on earth--extends a line that goes on forever, which is eternity in heaven.
  5. Giving is the only antidote to materialism. Giving is a joyful surrender to a greater person and a greater agenda. It dethrones me and exalts Him.
  6. God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving. God gives us more money than we need so we can give--generously.
There is so much I could write about this book. It has reshaped how I think about giving. So what are you waiting on. Go get the book.

PS. I was able to give a copy of this book away during our "I Need a Bailout" series a few weeks ago. If you got that copy I would love to hear your thoughts on the book.

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

I really like Randy Alcorn's writing... I'll have to check that one out at some point.