Thursday, April 10, 2008

Watch the video then read below...

I had this thought as I was watching "Idol Gives Back" last night. It was during the clip of Alisha Keys' trip to Africa. She made a statement along the line of "our generation needs to stand against injustice...." It was if God were saying, "I have heard the cries of my people, and since the church isn't going to do anything to help them then I'll have to use others to meet those needs."

Shame on us! We're so busy in the American church being concerned about secondary matters and fighting over stupid stuff that God is using things like American Idol Gives Back to do work that the church could and should be doing.

I know that people say that "the church is the hope of the world." I don't really agree with that. I think that Jesus is the hope of the world and that his first choice is to use the church, but as we saw last night, God can and will use whatever he wants, and it doesn't have to be the church (think Balaam's donkey or of the Babylonians that God used to punish his people).

My passion for Hub City Church is that we be a church that doesn't miss out on all that God is wanting to do in the world. We want to stand for justice in Spartanburg and around the world. I think that is when people are going to see Jesus through us. I think that is what gives our message about Jesus credibility.

I think that the Idol's singing of "Shout to the Lord" is a modern day "rocks crying out," and it happened on live TV in front of millions of adoring idol fans. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

1 comment:

Cliff Marshall said...

Good points. If you read my blog yesterday you know how the whole "My Shepherd..." thing got to me, but I had not thought about it in terms of the rocks crying out. I did think it was cool that they sang it again last night and put "Jesus" back in!