Friday, November 06, 2015

Enjoying the roller-coaster ride of parenting

Anybody who is a parent knows the ups and downs of parenting. Six Flags couldn't design a roller-coaster modeled on parenting because it would cause trauma, whiplash and possibly, paralysis. 

There are good days. There are hard days. There are days when you feel like you've got the hang of things. There are other days when you have no idea what you're doing.

The past couple of months have been a unique time in our parenting. Nathan started High School and has been consumed with marching band. Levi has been playing football. He now has a path to the NFL planned out for himself. Just this past week Matthew started off-season training with the High School Tennis team. 

All of this has left us a bit stretched, and I woke up this morning feeling a bit emotional about it all. 

Tomorrow is the marching band state championship. I'm probably biased, but Byrnes' program is phenomenal. I love that Nathan has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than himself. I hope they win state. I'm even a little surprised that I am sad about the season is coming to an end. It has been such a great experience for Nathan.

Tomorrow is also supposed to be Levi's final football game of the season. Unfortunately, the game will probably be rained out. It has been so much fun watching him have fun quarterbacking and leading and encouraging his young team. 

I'm writing about this because sometimes in the busyness and ups and downs of parenting we forget to pause and reflect on the present. My emotions reminded me to pause today.

Liz and I remind each other often that time is short. Our time with our kids is short. So, even through the roller-coaster ride, remember to enjoy the journey.

And with that being said: Go Rebel Regiment! Win State!!!

No comments: