Wednesday, November 05, 2014

In Memory of a friend

One of my really good friends from my early high school days in Barstow, California, died this past Tuesday. 

Chris and I met in the youth group of First Baptist Barstow. We'd ride bikes all over town. He had a cool BB gun that we'd take out into the desert to shoot wild animals. I almost hit a jack-rabbit one time. We even had our own little pathetic gang: The Conceited Peacemakers. (I know... we really were pathetic dorks).

I think the above picture is from the summer of 1990. Chris is the kid in the glasses behind the pulpit. I'll let you scour the pic to see if you can find me. 

Chris was one of the guys that made those tough and awkward early-adolescent years better. That's what friends do.

Chris was diagnosed recently with stage 4 lung cancer. I can't imagine getting that diagnosis as a 40 year old. 

I haven't talked to Chris in years, but I am grateful that he was my friend during the two and a half years I lived in Barstow. 

This post is in memory of him and a reminder that this life is short. But this life isn't all there is. 

I'm grateful that Chris put his faith in Jesus who said, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one can come to the father except through me.

My hope for whoever reads this is that you will make the same decision Chris made about Jesus. I'm pretty sure, from where he's standing now, he'd say the same thing.

**Updated picture** Found this pic with Chris and me standing next to each other and had to share.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thought Johnathon, thanks for sharing a great memory of Chris. He is missed.
Debi Cunningham Perry