Tuesday, December 14, 2010

More, more and more

I've been thinking a lot lately about organizational growth, specifically church growth. Now I know that the idea of church growth is offensive to some people, but all healthy organisms grow. My questions revolve around this main question: How can we grow in a healthy way? I don't think cancerous growth is healthy. It's fast, it can get big, but it's dangerous. But I do think that healthy growth is important. With that in mind, I came across this quote.

JIM COLLINS

On "the undisciplined pursuit of more"
"Regulate growth, regulate reach. Do we have all our key seats filled with fantastic people? If the answer is no, we must resist growth until all those seats are filled with fantastic people."

He says it another way in his book Good to Great. It's all about getting the right people on the bus, in the right seats, with the bus pointed in the right direction.

So, are you in the right seat on the bus? If not, where would you be a better fit?

1 comment:

Jaimee said...

I guess the questions that come to my mind regarding those quotes are: What are the key seats? and What are fantastic people? I guess I'm not sure there can be "wrong" people. Unlike cancer cells which have to be killed in order to not destroy the body, people who are pointed in the wrong direction (if that's what we're talking about) can be changed into people who are pointed in the right direction.