Friday, July 02, 2010

Moving from good to great

One of my favorite verses out of the book of Nehemiah is found in chapter 6, verse 3. Sanballat and his posse of bad guys are trying to set a trap for Nehemiah. They disguise their trap in terms of a peace treaty. But Nehemiah isn't fooled and sends them this response: I am doing a great work and I cannot come down.

I love that sentence. That sentence is so powerful, on so many levels, but one reason I love it is because I believe that that one sentence holds the key to us moving from good to great.

I think what separates good from great is the ability to say that sentence over and over again. Most of us have a problem distinguishing the good things in our life from the great things. And because our lives are filled with so many good things, the great things get pushed aside. The key is the ability to say no to the good so that you can say yes to the great.

I'm doing a great work and I cannot come down.

That's worth memorizing. It's worth saying.

No comments: