Monday, May 15, 2006

Ramblings

I feel like I need to go to the blog confessional: Bloggers, I have sinned. It's been 12 days since my last blog. Not that it really matters. I just would like to get in the habit of writing this thing. Why does like sometimes get in the way of everything?
Is it just me or does life, and the stuff of life, move way to fast? It's like I can't keep up. Does anyone else ever look back over the past week and wonder where Thursday, Friday and Saturday went and if anything worthwhile happened during those days?
I don't know about you, but I do know that when I take some "in my closet with the door closed" time every morning (Rd Matt. 6:5-9 for more info) that my days seem to at least begin with some meaning.
Here's what I think I know (at least in theory, if not always in practice). Life is filled with too much stuff and the choices I have to make every day deal with knowing the difference between the good and the best. I know that sometimes our struggle is between right and wrong, but I am convinced that our adversary is more satisfied when we settle for good stuff over best stuff.
Here's an example: As some of you know, I am a survivor fan. Last night I watched as Aras won a million bucks. Then I stayed up way past my bedtime (10:00, which I know is early for some of you, but is late for a weenie like me) to watch the useless interviews with the cast. Thus, today I had moments of focussing problems and tiredness that I usually don't have. Was it wrong to stay up and watch the survivor finally? I know some of you would disagree, but I don't think it was wrong. Was it the best use of my time, however? Not at all.
I seem to so easily settle for the good when the best, which might require a small sacrifice, gets left behind.
I don't want to live a good life. I want to live the best life. I think that's what Jesus was getting at when he told us that he had come so that we might have life and have it to the fullest.
Here's my challenge to myself and anyone else reading this blog: Take a life inventory and discern what good things in your life are getting in the way of the best things for your life. Until next time...

No comments: