Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Great Omission

A couple of weeks ago I finished an incredible book: The Great Omission by Dallas Willard. I love the writings of Dallas Willard. He will make you think. This book is a collection of articles and lectures of his. It's worth reading.

There were two lines that are repeated over and over again in the book. I keep thinking about them and wanted to share.

Here's the first: Salvation is opposed to earning but not effort.

I love that. We can't earn our salvation, but it does require effort. We don't magically become like Jesus. We have to discipline ourselves. We have to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. 

Makes me wonder: What effort am I (or are you) putting into your salvation?

The second is related, and this is a paraphrase: Do we have a plan or system in place for teaching people to obey all that Jesus commanded?

In the great commission we're told to "teach them to obey all that I've commanded." That should be our goal. Obedience to all Jesus commanded us to do.

I could say more, but I think it'd be better for you to read the book.

No comments: