Tuesday, July 29, 2014

I'm so much cooler online

Part of my summer schedule involves working at our neighborhood pool while the boys swim off some energy. I sit under the covered porch and use the free wi-fi. It's not a bad place to work, actually. 

Yesterday, while trying to focus on some sermon prep, I overheard two women have a conversation about Facebook and specifically, why they were quitting Facebook.

Basically, they described three reasons for their Facebook abandonment: Everyone seems/looks perfect (perfect body, perfect family, perfect life) online; too much drama (emotions); too much controversy.

And you know what? They really are right about so much of what's posted online.

It reminded me of something I've been thinking about lately. I think those of us who are Christians need to come up with some kind of standard of social media use that contains some form of the following question:

Would someone be able to tell I'm a follower of Jesus, and in-turn want to become a follower of Jesus, by reading my posts online?

Ouch.

That's a convicting question.

I love social media. It helps me stay connected with people. I feel like I know what's going on in people's lives. I've been able to find out what's happening with folks that I haven't seen in years.

But as a follower of Jesus, I want my online life to bring glory to God just like I want my off-line life to bring glory to God.

1 Corinthians 10:31 says, So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Whatever you do includes what you post on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Maybe, if we did this, God might just use something as silly as social media to let the world see, experience and come to know Jesus.

No comments: