Monday, April 11, 2011

Two parts

I've been thinking a lot lately about the two parts to being a disciple. Really, they go together and are really just what it means to be a disciple. But we often, unknowingly, separate them and end up missing out on the whole. What the heck am I talking about. Read this:

Mark 1:17 - “Come, follow me,” Jesus said,“and I will send you out to fish for people.”

This is discipleship in a nutshell: Following Jesus and fishing for people.

What I've discover is true of me, and many of you, is we like to focus on one of those things. For me, and for most people I know, we LOVE the following Jesus part. But we think of the fishing for people part as an afterthought.

But they go together.

On a related note, I talked about this in yesterday's sermon. If you were there, I'd love to know your thoughts, but for me, I think it was the best, most powerful sermon I've ever preached. That's probably because I was preaching to me.

1 comment:

Jaimee Holmes said...

It was a good teaching. I think the hardest part for me is DELIBERATELY fishing. I like the experience of fishing. The lounging by the side of the lake with friends, talking, maybe having a bite to eat... all the while keeping a casual eye on my pole a couple yards or so away, sort of wedged haphazardly between some rocks. Don't get me wrong. I get excited about the occasional catch (even though I'm a vegetarian, do a better job of grilling black bean burgers and will most likely throw it back in or give it to someone who knows what to do with it), but I don't purposely and actively go fishing for the express outcome of catching fish...