Monday, July 21, 2008

Preview report

Hub City Church had it's first preview yesterday. I would have posted about it yesterday, but I was too tired. All in all it was a great day, but not in the way you might think. The band, My Calvary, was great. Our problems began in the middle of their first song when we blew the power in the theater we were in! We lost lights, sound, video. I decided to go ahead and do the sermon first, without sound, and then we would do music at the end, if we could get power back. We were finally able to get power to the sound, but were still without lights and video. What we learned was that the outlets in the theater are all on one breaker. This was a good lesson to learn.

Something that was funny was that they were showing Batman (which is a great movie) in the theater next to us, so I had a soundtrack that was playing behind my sermon. It was a bit distracting, but more than that, it was just funny. it fit with the comedy of the morning.

Since they were showing movies during our worship there were all kinds of people at Spartan 16. I loved having our gathering in a place that was also being used for something other than church. People were very inquisitive about church in a movie theater.

The theater management was awesome! I can't say enough good stuff about Perry and the staff. They went above and beyond for us and were so gracious the entire time. They told us that we needed to keep our signs up during the whole gathering so that the people coming to the movies would know about us. That was pretty sweet. Also, theater employees kept coming into our gathering to check us out.

Our kids areas were off the hook. Our team did such an incredible job. When parents find out about what we're doing I think they'll come to Hub City Church just for the kids' stuff.

I hesitate to post this, but some of you are dying to know how many people were there. We had around 60 people (including our team and volunteers) who were there. That's more than I thought would show up to a preview. I am extremely thankful for the team from Revolution Church in Florence for coming to help. You all are amazing servants.

I must say I love the whole preview idea. It gives us a chance to learn before we officially go public. I think of it as a preseason game. We do it again on August 17. Maybe we'll have power for the whole gathering next time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for allowing us to serve. It was our pleasure. We learned so much and enjoyed hanging with your team.

It was pretty cool to see how much the Spartan 16 staff were willing to help. Both Hub City and the Spartan 16 have great teams!

Susanne said...

Jonathan,
I have to echo Chris' sentiment of thanks for allowing us to come and serve. We are humbled that you would take that kind of interest in helping us learn and serve at the same time. It's very obvious that your team has a heart for Jesus and huge desire to serve Spartanburg. I didn't get to meet everyone, but Melanie, Jessica, Jacob and Chris are TOP NOTCH! We are so thrilled to have gotten to meet and connect with you guys! Have a GREAT week!

Unknown said...

I had an awesome time. The MIP event was phenomenal - WOW - all of the people! The KIDZMO program was fun for every age group included - even for me! Thank you for the privilege of working with you and your staff. I look forward to keeping in touch - through the blog world, the net, and through fellowship when we can get back to Spartanburg! Hub City will be in my prayers.

Priscilla said...

Signed in with my wrong account - wanted you to be able to link to my blog...

John said...

J- this happened to us when we launched in a theater. We had to run lots of extension cords from differenct places in the projection booth to get enough circuits to handle everything!